I made this yesterday and had to share.
It is one of my favorite new recipes, modified from the simpler Trader Joe’s version (they include Trader Joe’s wontons which I thought tasted like cardboard!)
This is especially good when you have a cold, or it’s a blustery day. The chili really warms you up!
Since I used homemade chicken broth (chicken carcass + water + splash apple cider vinegar +24 hours in crock pot=liquid gold) this cost me less only $2 for the chili sauce + stuff I had on hand.
Chicken Chili Soup
- 1 carton organic chicken broth or 4 cups homemade broth
- 1 c. brown rice (white would be good too, if you use white rice this will take 1/2 as much time to cook)
- 1 bottle Trader Joe’s Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1/2 c. Trader Joe’s Soyaki (soy sauce with sesame seeds)
- leftover cooked chicken (I cooked some chicken thigh meat I keep for soups)
- green onions
Put chicken broth in a large soup pot, add bottle of chili sauce, 1/2 c. Soyaki, and 1 c. rice. Bring to boil. Turn down to low and cover and let simmer for approx. 40 minutes (approx 20 mins. for white rice). Turn off heat. Add cooked chicken about 5 minutes before serving. Top with green onions. If you use leftover rice noodles or rice this would only take a few minutes to warm up!Chili Chicken Soup
© 2009 – 2013, Whalen Media LLC. All rights reserved. To repost or publish, please email Kelly.