There are a few things that go hand in hand with Fall. Pumpkins, leaf piles, pie, and cranberries to name a few. One of the reasons this year is my favorite time of year is that I can create all kinds of delicious fall goodies that are healthy too.
Whether it’s cranberry bread, classic cranberry sauce, or cosmopolitan (hello, they are made with cranberry juice!) they are both healthy and pack a powerful flavor punch.
If you’re in NYC the bog will have great events all day long on October 16th including cranberry harvest demonstrations and Taste & Tell booth featuring select Ocean Spray juice drinks and Ocean Spray Craisins from 10 a.m. â€“ 4 p.m. ET.
Fun Fact: If you strung together all the cranberries produced in North America last year, they would stretch from Boston to Los Angeles more than 565 times.
Ocean Spray is broadcast three LIVE segments from inside the bog!
Find your “Liquid identityâ€ with cocktail masters Michelle Hunt and Laura Panter, of the Toronto-based Martini Club.
Enjoy a health makeover with registered dietitian and nutrition expert Connie Diekman, RD.
Discover how cranberries float and more with third generation Ocean Spray grower, Gary Garretson.
Watch the video recording below!
Live Video streaming by Ustream
Wasn’t that fun?! I wish I had been there in person. How fun would it be to be inside a real bog?
I watched the first segment live, and caught the rest on the recording. I’ll share a few of my favorite tips from the video and shared by Ocean Spray.
Interesting fact: Ocean Spray is a co-op of over 600 family farms where cranberries are handpicked by families who have been harvesting cranberries for generations.
Cranberry is made for Cocktails
- Cheryl Cook created the first Cosmopolitan, bringing the cranberry front and center as a versatile mixer. It’s now used in a variety of cocktails.
- Adding sparkling cranberry juice to cocktails can add a nice ‘charge’ your cocktail. Charging means adding bubbles to your cocktail.
Cooking with Cranberries
- The key ingredient to making sure cranberry sauce gels is pectin. Cook the sauce for at least 10 minutes at a full boil to release it.
- Cranberries are good for savory dishes as well as sweet dishes.
- You can reconstitute dried cranberries with boiling water and let them steep for 15 minutes.
Cranberry Health Benefits:
- Cranberries are rich in antioxidants and have more naturally occurring antioxidants per gram than other common fruit.
- PACs, or proanthocyanadins, are responsible for cranberry’s tart taste and give them a healthy edge.
- Eight ounces of cranberry juice cocktail, 1/2 cup of fresh cranberries and 1/4 cup of dried cranberries or cranberry sauce each provide the same urinary tract health benefits.
More from Ocean Spray
Stay connected to Ocean Spray on twitter and Facebook. You can take the liquid identity quiz on Facebook, look for coupons on their Facebook page to make your own cranberry recipes, and look for dozens of cranberry recipes on their website including my favorites:
- 5-0 Cosmo
- Berry Chocolate Smoothie
- Apple Cranberry Crisp
- Blue Cheese, Baby Greens, and Craisin Salad
- Winter Squash and Cranberry Risotto
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. All opinions are my own.