August 1st means it’s time for our latest installment of the Best Time To Buy Everything aka What to Buy in August. We share this each month so you know what’s a great deal and what to wait on (if you can). While we’re all about the savings, sometimes shopping is necessary so let us help guide you on when to make those purchases (both big and small) throughout the year and check out our ebook for more info on when to buy everything.
1. Air Conditioners The best time to buy air conditioners continues through August and runs through September, and boy do we need them in my area with temperatures residing in the 100’s these days.
2. Outdoor Furniture, Grills, and Camping Gear Summer is nearly over, and the stores are clearing out their summer furniture space to make room for…wait for it…Christmas stuff? Sad but true. Look for great bargains this month on everything related to what you might enjoy outside while you have warmer temperatures.
3. Garden Plants and Flowers Garden centers begin clearing out their showrooms mid-summer, and the sales continue through August.
4. Lawn Mowers – The selection may be limited, but if you are looking for deep discounts late summer is a great time to find a bargain lawn mower.
5. Swim Wear and Flip Flops Watch for end of season sales on all summer wear in August. Stock up on items for your kids for next year, and maybe something special for you as it doesn’t look like the temperatures will be cooling down any time soon.
6. School Supplies There’s a big myth out there that bargains in school supplies don’t happen until after school has started. That myth couldn’t be more wrong. Bargains for back to school supplies are to be had everywhere. You can find pencils for a penny, paper for a quarter, and backpacks marked way down. For more information about back to school shopping check out 12 Back to School Budget Tips.
7. Laptops Per PC World, July had some stellar sales on laptops with prices dropping to record lows, and these bargains will continue into August with back to school sales that not only offer discounts, but could also offer freebies such as free software or free printers.
8. White Sales and Storage Cleaners Linens and storage cleaners going on sale in August for back to school? Yes. If you think college students leaving your home nest on limited budgets, the bargains and sales make total sense. The next best time to buy for linens? January.
9. MP3 Players Stores are clearing out old models to make room for the new models arriving in September. Look for great bargains on last year’s models.
10. Dehumidifiers Per Consumer Reports dehumidifier bargains are to be had in August. I best this year you can find some especially good bargains as it has been so very dry.
Food When looking for bargains on food this month think fresh produce. The list includes vegetables such as cucumbers, corn and eggplant and the fruit includes such delicious items as watermelon, strawberries, cantaloupe, and peaches.
Everyone who has ever tried to make the most of their money knows that in order to get the best bargains on certain goods, timing is everything. So in order to help the readers of The Centsible Life get their bargain timing down to perfect, I have created a “Best Time to Buy list for each current month. Use these lists to make the most of your money through out the entire year.