Spring is finally here and with it lots of time spent outdoors. Our menus in the spring focus on buying fresh and local produce and making quick meals so we can spend more time outside soaking up the sun and warm weather. I’ve included menu items that will allow you to grill outside or slow cook all day so you too can spend more time gardening, playing outside, or just simple sitting and basking in the lovely weather.
The slow cooker is a great tool to use any time of year and is something we’ll continue to rely on in the spring. While we don’t currently have a grill it’s also a great way to cook dinner without being stuck inside on a lovely evening.
Since GIANT is sponsoring this week’s menu plan I’ve also included a handy shopping list and sale prices from this week’s sale flyer. You can find your local flyer at GIANT’s website and find your local GIANT store.
English muffin pizzas are a quick and easy dinner that allow you plenty of time outside and a fun meal for dinner without a ton of work. Serve with a side salad and you’re done cooking in no time!
English Muffin Pizza Recipe
- Top English muffins with pizza sauce, choice of toppings including onions, olives, pepperoni, sausage, sliced veggies, etc., and complete with layer of shredded cheese.
- Grill for about 5 minutes over medium-low heat or toast in the oven on 400 degrees for 5-8 minutes until cheese is melted.
- For the non-dairy eaters try Daiya shredded ‘cheese’ which makes a great substitute.
- If you’re gluten-free look for gluten-free English muffins in the gluten-free freezer section of your local GIANT.
Tuesday: Choose Your Own Stir Fry
Shrimp or beef stir fry and all the sides. We like to do ‘choose your own stir fry’ which allows the kids to have whatever veggies they love. Make sure to throw in some fresh garlic and ginger for added flavor!
Why stir fry? Stir fry takes advantage of both the abundance of great local vegetables you can find at this time of year (spring onions, spring greens, and a plethora of other goodies) while being a quick and easy meal to make. If you prep your veggies one evening you can serve this up in no time flat for dinner.
Wednesday: Burgers & Dogs
Lean beef burgers or hot dogs on the grill. Served with a spring salad, roasted potato slices, and melon for dessert.
Make tapas platters and eat outside if you can! Here are a few of our favorite tapas ideas:
- Crackers with salami or pepperoni and cheese with sides of mustards
- Mixed olives
- Pre-cooked shrimp
- Celery, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, sliced green peppers and Stacy’s pita chips with hummus
- Melon balls on skewers with a side of plain yogurt mixed with honey
- Guacamole and tortilla chips
Saturday: Clean Out The Fridge Night
This is our favorite way to ensure we eat up leftovers and avoid tossing food each week. You can freeze things that are nearing their expiration date or use up leftover fruits and vegetables in a smoothie or juice made in your blender.
Sunday: Slow-Roasted Pork With BBQ Sauce
We had this last Sunday to try it and it was divine! Follow this recipe from Nom Nom Paleo and just add BBQ sauce. (we used sea salt in place of Hawaiian salt since we couldn’t find it).
My husband made a blueberry BBQ sauce that was delicious with this! It sounds odd, but trust me it was great! Serve with finely sliced cabbage, shredded carrots on top.
This can be served with a side of potatoes, side salad, or just pickles.
GIANT Shopping List:
English Muffin Pizzas (Monday)
- Thomas English Muffins Buy 1, Get 1
- Shredded Cheese
- Don Pepino Sauce 4/$5
Stir Fry (Tuesday)
- Steak: Top Sirloin sliced thinly $6.99/lb.
- Shrimp $8.99/lb.
- See Vegetables
Burgers & Dogs (Wednesday)
- Nature’s Promise Hot Dogs $5.99
- Laura’s 92% Lean Ground Beef $6.49/lb.
- Rolls/Buns GIANT brand 2/$4 or Rudis’ Gluten-Free Bread ($3.99)
- See pancake recipe (you may have all ingredients on hand)
- See smoothie recipe (Use almond milk on sale for $3)
Check your fridge and pantry first-this is a great way to use up stuff you have on hand. Here are some sale items you can find at GIANT this week:
- Kashi crackers $2.69 (with $5 back when you buy 5 or more)
- Stacy’s pita chips $4.99 for 18 ounce bag
- Utz organic tortillas chips 2/$6
- Black Pearl Olives (canned) 2/$3
Slow-Roasted Pork (Sunday)
- Whole Pork Butt Shoulder Roast $1.99/lb (approx. 2 pounds per 4 people)
- Bacon 2/$7
- GIANT pickles $1.88
- Rolls/Buns GIANT brand 2/$4
Fruits And Vegetables For The Week:
- Melons: 2/$4
- 2 Bunches Organic Lettuce
- 1 Bag Carrots
- 1 Bag Onions
- Organic Broccoli ($2.49)
- 2 lbs. Bananas (69¢/lb.)
- Peppers 2/$3
- Asparagus $2.99
- Avocados 4/$5
- Mangoes 10 for $10
- Strawberries ($2.99 with coupon!)
Snacks for school lunches:
- ZBars (2 boxes/$6)
- Organic bananas (69¢/lb.)
- Carrot Sticks
- Mango Slices
- Nature’s Promise Honey Graham Bears (2 for $5)
- Big savings onKashi products: Mix and match 5 products for $5 in savings
- Kashi granola bars 2/$6
- Kashi cookies $2.69
- Kashi crackers $2.69
- Kashi waffles (for after school snacks) 2/$5
Nature’s Promise Cleaners
Check out Nature’s Promise new line of household products for big savings. We love using all-natural cleaners around the house that are safe for our kids and dog. Not only are these great prices, but you’ll get a free tote bag with $10 or more in Nature’s Promise purchases.
Save $5 On Paper Products
Stock up on Scott TP, Cottonelle, Kleenex tissues, and VIVA paper towels and save $5 when you spend $25 or more.
What’s on your menu this week?
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by GIANT Food Stores.