1. White Sale Items: Sheets, Pillow Cases, Blankets, etc.: Named originally by John Wanamaker, an early pioneer of the department store concept, January White Sales are a great time to buy high end items such as those good towels you know will last you for years or sheets with higher thread counts.
2. Computers: Many manufacturers release new products at the beginning of the year and retailers are looking to clear out last year’s models. Great values can be found in January.
3. Work out, Sports Gear, Treadmills, and Ellipticals: Probably one of the most common New Year’s resolutions out there is to lose weight or get more fit. Retailers know this and to encourage you even more they mark those prices down starting in January, with a next big sales swing on fitness items in spring to coincide with spring running races.
4. Winter Wear: Though the best bargains are in March, sales for these items start in January. Shop this month to get the best selection.
- Chocolate (Christmas clearance)
- Diet foods
- Frozen finger foods
6. Electronics, especially TV’s and Home Theaters: The Consumer Electronics show has just finished up and all retailers know that consumers are going to be looking for the hottest new items as seen at that show. Therefore they are eager to get those last year’s models off of their showroom floors to make room for the new. So yes! Now is the perfect time to get thee ready for all of those bowl games.
7. Furniture: Guess what? For most furniture stores a new shipment is arriving in February. Retailers need to clean out their store rooms. Look for great deals on floor samples as well.
8. Bicycles: Depending upon which part of the country you are in bicycle sales start in fall to make room for the new models. By January you can really get great bargains on last year’s models.
9. Boats: Let’s face it. For a lot of parts of the country, January is not an ideal time for boating. To encourage sales during these cold winter months bargains on boats can be great.
10. Gas Grills: A good rule of thumb for bargain shopping is shopping for off season items. And shopping for gas grills in January? Well that fits the bill perfectly.
11. Carpeting: My mom used to always say that January was the perfect month for home improvement projects. It’s cold, you want to stay inside, and fortunately for you the slowest season for carpet retailers is in January. Therefore some of the best bargains to be had on carpet happens in the beginning of January.
12. Digital Frames: Digital frames are popular Christmas gift items, but in January there may be some leftover bargains that retailers want to unload at bargain prices.
13. Office Furniture: Sales for office furniture happens through April, but starts in January to make room for next year’s models.
Everyone who has ever tried to make the most of their money knows that in order to get the best bargains on certain goods, timing is everything. So in order to help the readers of The Centsible Life get their bargain timing down to perfect, I have created a “Best Time to Buy list for each current month. Use these lists to make the most of your money through out the entire year.