Creating a Christmas morning kit has been a long standing tradition for me. I saw the idea on Martha Stewart years ago, and since then we’ve gathered up a box or bin of much needed items during the chaos of Christmas morning.
Create a Christmas Morning Preparedness Kit:
Creating a Christmas Morning Preparedness Kit is easy. All you need is a bin or box (decorative if you want) and the items that you will need on hand for a happy holiday morning.
- box or bin for storage of all your stuff
- batteries in multiple sizes (button batteries, AAs, AAs, Cs and Ds)
- chargers or extra batteries for cameras
- notepad and pen to write down who got what (or funny things the kids say)
- sharp scissors to cut pesky straps and plastic from toys
- set of mini screwdrivers for battery operated toys
The Christmas kit has been a lifesaver on Christmas morning so I don’t have to run from the room to hunt down scissors, batteries, or other assorted items we need.
While this kit is a lifesaver for me, it can be very dangerous in the hands of little ones, so I keep it on a high shelf or it sits next to me attended all morning put back on the shelf when I need to get up.
Battery Controlled Christmas Morning Preparedness Kit
One item that I always include, that can be extremely dangerous are button batteries. They are a must to have on hand since many things are powered by button batteries now. Here’s a partial list of things you can find button batteries in, many may be included in your holiday decor, or easily accesible around your home.
- Singing or talking greeting cards or books
- Flameless candles
- Small remote controls (MP3 player, DVD player)
- Car keys
I partnered with Energizer to share this info about the dangers associated with these tiny coin-sized batteries. Energizer and Safe Kids Worldwide teamed up to share life-saving tips for families, and I’m happy to share more info here to help you keep your kids safe this holiday season.
Why are button batteries so dangerous?
- It only takes about two hours for a button battery to cause serious burns in a child’s esophagus.
- The number of cases of children swallowing batteries has more than quadrupled in the past five years.
- Symptoms of coin-sized button battery ingestion may be similar to other childhood illnesses, such as coughing, drooling and discomfort.
How can you keep your kids safe this holiday season?
- Keep button batteries and devices that use them out of reach if the batterycompartments aren’t secure.
- If a child swallows a battery, go to the emergency room right away.
If you weren’t aware of the risks of button batteries, I hope you find this info helpful. If you want more info or would like to share this info with family and friends you can find more info and learn more by doing the following:
- Watch this eye-opening video about button batteries.
- Visit the Battery Controlled website for information and ways to share with your loved ones.
- Like BatteryControlled on Facebook.
- Follow @BatteryControl on Twitter.
- Search hashtag #BatteryControlled for tweets.
Will you be putting together a Christmas Morning Preparedness Kit this year?
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Energizer as part of their BatteryControlled initiative.