As I mentioned last week I’m going through a bit of a weighty issue. I’m heavier than I’ve ever been (though as of this post I’m down about 7 pounds-WOOT!). It’s making clothing choices difficult-especially when I know I have a full wardrobe that’s only a size or two down from where I am now. While I have bought a few items (everyone needs at least 3 pairs of pants that fit!) I haven’t wanted to invest in a full-on larger wardrobe.
Later this month I will be traveling to New Orleans for FinCon where I’ll be speaking on social media tools and then hopping on a flight to Atlanta to speak at Type-A Parent Conference to talk about negotiating. I’ll be doing plenty of networking, meeting with clients and potential clients, and spending time with colleagues. All that to say I need a professional wardrobe-and fast. Planning for a full 6 days away from home without spending a small fortune is something I wasn’t looking forward to doing. So instead I stuck my head in the sand so to speak and just pretended it would all work out.
That was until the other folks headed to Type-A started discussing what to wear. I’ve written in the past about what to wear to a conference so it’s not hat I’m not well-versed in what I need, I just don’t have any of it in my closet!
So when Kelby (founder of Type-A) mentioned Gwynnie Bee as an option she’s used for conference clothes and I remembered how great her outfit was at Type-A in DisneyWorld I knew it would be the perfect option.
Gwynnie Bee is like Netflix for clothes for women who wear sizes 10-32. You fill your online closet with items that suit your style and size and you’ll get a shipment of items to wear. There are lookbooks, recommendations, and you can even pick items based on your body shape.
You can keep the item for as long as you like, and when you’re done with an item or if you don’t like it you can simply pop it in the mail to return it and you’ll get a new package shortly.
How to Sign Up for Gwynnie Bee
Sign up for a free trial. You get a 1 month free trial. I recommend choosing the trial that gives you 3 items at a time. You can always change your plan after the free trial. Pricing is up to $79/month (for 3 items at a time) but you can cancel or change your plan at any time.
How to Get Started on Gwynnie Bee
Once you’ve signed up for a free trial you can pick 15 or more items for your closet. I searched by size in some categories, browsed the lookbook, and did a few searches and within 20 minutes had over 20 items in my closet. I liked that you could read reviews from other users too. That helped determine sizing and a few items I skipped since they didn’t seem to rate well.
My Gwynnie Bee closet
Now comes the wait. But it’s not long, within 72 hours Gwynnie Bee will ship out your first box. After you try the clothes on you can keep them for awhile or send them back if they don’t suit you.
Reasons I’m trying Gwynnie Bee:
- It’s FREE to try. I like free.
- No commitment to buy. I don’t need to buy anything. You can buy items you love for a steep discount if you can’t bear to send them back.
- Changing plans is no problem. If I like the service I’ll likely downgrade to a 1 item plan or even halt it temporarily since I don’t have any other plans to travel this Fall.
- It’s free to try.
- I get polished and pricey clothes I wouldn’t otherwise have access to. I wouldn’t normally spend a ton of cash on clothing so I’m accessing items that are beyond my budget.
- No need to spend money. Can I mention this again? I don’t want to spend money at all-so instead of buying cheap items that don’t last (and I don’t love) I’m getting a free trial to help round out my wardrobe for travel.
- Less to pack. While I normally bring home more than I leave with I can pop these items in the mail before I leave my hotel and I’ll have a little more space in my suitcase.
- More than one recommendation from friends. My friend Erica is even featured as a model! They feature real users and Erica can be seen here in a lovely green skirt and floral top.
- I like what they do. I like the company’s commitment to ‘help women feel empowered and beautiful every day’. I loved seeing women of all shapes and sizes featured on their site.
I’ll be sure to update with what I think of Gwynnie Bee’s service after my free month. You can sign up for your free trial here.
Have you tried their service? Would you?
Disclosure: The links to Gwynnie Bee are referral links. If you sign up I receive free credits.