I have noticed that our recycling bin has been filling very quickly lately. Some weeks when we take the bin out to the curb we still have a large pile by the back door that we couldn’t fit in. So I’m trying to be more conscious of how much we purchase, make more homemade, and use more recyclable materials for other purposes.
This week I thought I’d turn boxes I’d found in the recycling bin into gift bags. This was also a great way for me to use us some fabric strips that I had on hand that were left over from a clothing store’s craft event I’d co-hosted a while ago.
What you need:
- Cardboard boxes – any size
- Fabric scraps – t-shirt, tulle, lace (whatever you have on hand)
- Hole punch
These gift bags are very easy to make. Find the side of the box that has been glued together. Peel it apart, and then repeat for the bottom of the box too. Trim off the top section of the box. Glue the sides of the box back together making sure that the outside is now inside.
Your box will look like it has been turned inside out.
Next step is to pinch the each side of the box together at the top. Use your other hand to form a crease in the spine. Repeat on the other side.
Hold the top of the box closed with one hand and using a hole punch, make two holes in the top for the handles.
Tie the handles on.
You can customize these gift bags for any occasion. Get creative, and have fun with it.
- Paint a chalkboard label on the gift bag for re-gifting and to skip having to purchase a gift tag
- Have the kids decorate gift bags for their friends with stickers or paint
- Add a trim of pretty fabric, lace, or edging to the top of the bag
- Use stamps to create custom messages on the gift bags
- Use washi tape to add a pretty trim