This holiday cleaning tips post is brought to you by Swiffer® as part of a Type-A Parent Community Sponsored Post.
As if we’re not busy enough during the holidays most of us are not only doing regular cleaning but doing ‘holiday cleaning’ to get ready for guests and family members who will be visiting during the holiday season. Doing a deep clean at this time of year may not be tops on your ‘holiday fun’ list, but it’s necessary.
Swiffer asked me to try the Swiffer BISSELL® SteamBoost™ mop to ‘holiday clean’ my house and share my tips and tricks to keeping our house holiday-ready.
Holiday Cleaning Tips & Tricks
1. Engage the family: Create chore lists for the kids every day and weekly chore charts too. Download my free printable chore charts or chore cards for the kids and add your own list of tasks to do. The reward of some holiday cookies and hot cocoa may be enough to get them motivated to help out.
2. Put quick cleanup supplies in key spots around the house. Placing supplies in key areas will help you save time and make cleanup easier. Ideas for quick cleanup stations:
- Rags and spray cleaner under the bathroom sink will make quick powder room cleanup a breeze.
- Keep a lint roller in your cleaning bucket for dusting lamp shades and fans.
- Stock paper towels or rags by entryways for quick cleanup of snow and mud.
- When tidying up a room keep a microfiber cloth in your pocket to make quick dusting easier.
- Store a small bottle of cleaner and microfiber towel in your car for quick dusting of surfaces. A lint roller can come in handy here too to clean out car seats or Goldfish crumbs.
3. Donate the clutter. Not only will it make cleaning easier, but it will get you a nice year end tax write-off if you donate it to a local nonprofit organization. Get kids in on the act by convincing them you’re making way for all the new goodies! 😉
4. Use cleaning hacks. Hacks are a great way to save time on cleaning. Consider tips like using a fabric softener sheet on baseboards to keep dust at bay year-round. For spider webs you or dusting crown molding attach an old tee shirt or pillow case to a broom.
5. Use the best products for the job: While it’s tempting to skimp, using cleaning products that are effective is the best way to make your job easier and maybe even enjoyable! For instance melamine erasers are great for cleaning up walls, and Swiffer pads are wonderful for capturing dirt and dust trapping.
6. Make it a party! Put on some holiday tunes while you clean to get in the holiday spirit!
7. Don’t stress. The holidays are about family, giving, and fun-so don’t get caught up in making everything picture-ready. Keeping a simple routine that everyone contributes to will keep the dust bunnies at bay while you enjoy your holiday gatherings.
Our Experience with Swiffer BISSELL® SteamBoost™
While cleaning the house is never top on my list I find the right tools make it almost enjoyable. I was downright giddy to learn that Swiffer would be sending it to me to try. It arrived this past weekend and I’ve already cleaned the floors all over the house! The results were a little frightening. While they had been wet mopped recently (and were vacuumed and dust mopped prior to using the steam mop) the pads came off full of grime. Ew. Thankfully the dirt was locked into the pad so once I was done I could toss it and move onto the next area.
How to Use the Swiffer BISSELL® SteamBoost™
The mop comes in three pieces in the package and is simple to snap together. If you aren’t sure where they go together simply use the handy instructions. Next you’ll want to fill up the water tank (preferably with distilled water) and add a pad to the base. Lastly you plug this bad boy in, wait for it to warm up (about 30 seconds) and then get busy steam cleaning.
What kind of surfaces does it work on?
We have ceramic tile in our bathrooms and kitchen, and linoleum in our powder room, but the rest of the house is original hardwood floors. It worked beautifully on all three surfaces to remove the dirt, dust, and grime. The floors were left looking extremely clean and thankfully the steam dries extremely quickly so there was no need to ban anyone from the our slippery when wet kitchen floor after I mopped. The packaging states that it works on a variety of floors-just be careful with waxed hardwoods, and if you’re concerned make sure to do a test run in an inconspicuous area like the closet floor.
What holiday cleaning tips do you have? Any hacks or ways you save time on cleaning?
This sponsored post was brought to you by Swiffer®. For a limited time, get a $15 prepaid card when you purchase a SteamBoost Steam Mop Starter Kit between 11/24/13 and 12/31/13. Swiffer BISSELL® SteamBoost™ combines a dirt-dissolving cleaning solution with the power of steam for a deep clean that gets messes mops can leave behind. Also be sure to like Swiffer on Facebook and follow @swiffer on Twitter.