The holidays are nearly here, and with it comes the need to put together holiday looks–on a budget of course! We got advice from a style expert to give you holiday outfit styling tips, style dos don’ts, and I’ll share some ways to save big on your clothes.
Holiday Outfit Styling Tips From A Pro
Claire MaGruder is zulily’s trend expert-she shares her expert styling advice with us. Claire has a background in styling and design. She has worked on such television series and feature films as Boardwalk Empire, The Big C, The Today Show, The Martha Stewart Show, Winter’s Tale, and more. Claire is the founder and author of the blog, That Pleasant Surprise, which focuses on finding the beauty in our everyday lives.
Holiday Styling Tips
- 4 Essentials For A Holiday Look: All you need is some serious heels, a sparkly clutch, statement earrings, and a bright glossy red lip. These four little items can be added to any outfit for an easy update before heading out for the night.
- Go Red: Apple Red is the color of the moment, and perfect for holiday looks. Pair it with cream, black, and for something different, very pale pink.
- White Blazers: Blazers are a great go to basic this time of year. They look amazing over pale pastels or tones of grey, or paired with your favorite dark denim.
- Try Sequins: Sequin on a skirt are great–go knee length, A-line, or pencil. Wear it with a soft formfitting white sweater, strappy gold heels, and a pink lip.
- Go Casual: It doesn’t always have to be a dressy dress! If you’re more of a casual girl, go with your favorite dark skinny jeans and a couple of easy additions. Nice heels do the trick every time, along with a peplum tunic tank, some sparkly jewelry, and you’re good to go.
- Try Tights: Spin your favorite LBD in a new direction with some super fun tights. Try sheer black with a lace pattern, or any tights with embellishments such as pearls or little mini rhinestones. If you go with an all black look, try a close toed heel in a rich jewel tone such as Forest Green or Cranberry.
- Think Layers: Plaid shirts with a statement necklace and skinny jeans looks great indoors beforehand. Add on a pretty puffy vest and riding boots, and you’ll be set for the festivities!
- Pleated + Pretty: Pleats are such a great trend right now. Pick up a skirt with swingy folds, whether it’s a maxi or ends at the knees, you really can’t go wrong. Since there’s a lot going on with this look, pair them with a simple black form fitting top, tucked into the skirt for polish.
Holiday Dressing Do’s and Don’ts
- Do go for a little sparkle… sequins, rhinestones, pearls are all so pretty this time of year. Don’t go overboard and blind your friends… limit that bling to one item, and build your outfit around that.
- Don’t forget to add texture… lace, feathers, cozy knits, a little tulle are all really fun elements to add in over the holidays. Don’t end up looking like a puffed up turtle dove with too much going on… keep the textures lightweight and fitted closely to the body.
- Do try a bold cat eye or a bright red glossy lip for some extra holiday shine. Don’t end up looking like a character from the Moulin Rouge… try just one of these looks for a
- Don’t let garment hangs loosely. Head to a tailor to get your pieces fitting just right. Don’t buy too tight and small. The last thing you want during the holidays is an overly restricted dress that you’re constantly tugging into place.
- Do try a fantastic glittery heel, or vampy cage bootie for some extra style. Don’t buy the wrong size and wince in pain all night. Make sure to add in some extra cushion pads to maintain an evening on the go.
Want to save big on holiday style and holiday gifts? You can find affordable options for yourself, the family, and holiday gifts at Zulily. Join Zulily here.