I’m always trying to get more greens and healthy vegetables on the dinner table, so while I was cooking dinner last week I decided to see what I could come up with to go alongside our typical dinner fare.
I had an Asian-style coconut chicken on the menu so when I saw kale and half a can of coconut milk that needed to be used I knew I had the making for something tasty. I know not everyone is a fan of kale, but personally I love kale. What’s not to love? It’s a leafy green that’s chock full of vitamins, antioxidants, fiber, and more.
Using my chef’s hat I knew that the coconut milk would help take some of the bitterness out of the kale and make it so even picky eaters would enjoy it.
I went through the pantry and fridge until I founds ingredients with complimentary flavors that would work with the kale and coconut milk in addition to the chicken. In the end I’m pretty please with this super simple side that looks and tasted great. I hope you like this sweet Asian-inspired kale coconut salad as much as I do.
Kale Coconut Salad Recipe
- 2 tbsps toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 2 cups kale
- 1/4 cup matchstick carrots
- Unsweetened coconut flakes for garnish (optional)
- Heat sesame oil over medium heat in skillet
- Add kale and matchstick carrots to hot pan
- Cook for 5- 10 minutes, stirring consistently until kale and carrots is bright green and carrots soft
- Stir in coconut milk allow to cook for another two minutes to blend flavors
- Remove from heat and place in serving bowl
- Optional - Top with unsweetened coconut flakes
It’s such a simple side dish, but it took our chicken dinner from everyday to amazing.