There’s so much talk about Kylie Jenner’s lip transformation that has selfie-takers wondering what, how and why? And while we aren’t all running out for lip injections to catch up with Kylie (I’m not saying she’s had injections, though many others are speculating) Whether you’re a duck-face lover or a Kylie wannabe, the right lips in a selfie make a huge difference.
Perfect your selfie-lip
Skin-consistency is key, and so is taking good care of your skin, so it’s important to continually treat your lips against the sun and harsh weather, not just when you’re taking selfies, but all the time. Any lip balm will do, but I prefer a natural lip balm with SPF, like Burt’s Bees Res-Q Lip Balm SPF 15.
Next, I apply a lip-primer which will make my lips more even and help my lipstick to last longer. If you’re looking for a plumper lip, consider Neutralizing Plumping Pro Lip Lipstick Primer. I’m a fan of Pixi’s Pixi Lip & Line – Nearly Clear.
I asked Cover Girl to send me a few samples of their selfie-best lipsticks. When selecting a lipstick with selfies (or any pictures) in mind, remember that the idea is to highlight your lips, not hide them. So it’s time to put away the nudes and browns and focus on reds, pinks and oranges, depending on your skin tone. Here’s a quick guide to how to pick the best lipstick for your skin tone.
Cover Girl sent six of their new Colorlicious Lipsticks. They’re rich, soft and creamy and infused with shea butter. This helps my lips to feel nourished and smooth, while giving them long-lasting color. Here are a few of my selfies with the new Colorlicious Lipsticks:
The numbers in the images correspond to the lipstick numbers:
240: Caramel Kiss | 300: Garnet Flame | 375: coquette orchid | 415: delight blush
A few tips on how to take a good selfie!
I asked one of my favorite selfie-takers, Nora, from Chloe + Isabel, to share her best tips. See what she has to say below!
- Find a good lighting source, I will go right up to a window (natural light rocks). You want your picture to be nice and crisp.
- Get your glam on; throw on some lip gloss, girl! Makeup is always a good thing for photos.
Top tip: for fuller lips-use a highlighter on your cupids bow and middle of your bottom lip. (Julie’s all-time favorite highlighter is Benefit Cosmetics Watt’S Up! Soft Focus Highlighter for Face)
- Do the “turtle!” Push your head forward to get a nice smooth neckline (double chin eraser)! It feels weird but Tyra Bank swears by it!
- My best and fave tip, use a great filter…but nothing too bizarre that will completely change the look. My fave on IG is Amaro (makes your skin look purdy). Perfect 365 is the mother of all apps to make you look magazine gorg! android | iOS
- Head to Nora’s Facebook page for more tips.