Many of my fondest memories from childhood involve a good book and a lazy summer day. I have always been an avid reader though I am the first to admit that e-books don’t have the same appeal and that has led to reading less over the last several years.
We’ve raised readers, too. Even our child that struggles with reading loves to read comics. I’ll take it. It’s all about getting them reading and encouraging it every day.
Below are some ideas to get your kids engaged and reading and a list of books I will be reading this summer, as well as a list of the kids’ favorites.
Summer Family Fun: Reading Together
Do As I Do:
To get kids reading they need to see you reading. This summer I’m making a personal challenge to read 8 books-one per week of summer. They can be anything from beach reads to personal finance books, but 8 in total. Front to back. Thousands of words. New worlds to be lost in. New information to learn. Create your own personal challenge and get a stack of books to read.
Encourage Reading Through Rewards:
Rewarding behavior we want to encourage may seem a bit like bribery, but for some kids it is just what you need. Our kids have their own summer reading incentives. We are using a token system (more on that soon) and one of the ways you can ‘hit it big’ with tokens is through reading. Already just 3 days into this system and the kids are reading more than they normally would. It’s been really awesome to see. Leticia at Tech Savvy Mama shares a list of Summer Reading Programs for Kids that offer up prizes like free movies, books, and other rewards.
Make ‘Reading Time’
When our kids were little we read bedtime stories before naps and at bedtime. Since they have grown into elementary aged kids they read on their own, but generally only at bedtime. This summer I’m instituting a midday break for reading. Instead of a nap or ‘quiet time’ we’ll gather around and read books in the same room. Sometimes out loud, sometimes on our own.
List of Books I’m Reading This Summer:
- The Most Dangerous Animal of All: Searching for My Father . . . and Finding the Zodiac Killer
- Written in My Own Heart’s Blood: A Novel (Outlander)
- The Goldfinch: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction)
- Aloha Also Means Goodbye (I already read this but I’m reading it again!)
- Thinking, Fast and Slow
- Pro-Blogging Secrets: Strategies, Tips, and Answers You Need to Grow Your Blog and Earn More Money
- Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
- Death of a Nightingale (Nina Borg #3)
List of Kid’s Favorites:
- Captain Awesome vs. Nacho Cheese Man
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians 3 Book Paperback Boxed Set with new covers (Percy Jackson & the Olympians)
- How to Train Your Dragon
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck: 8
- The 39 Clues Book 1: The Maze of Bones
- The Heidi Heckelbeck Collection: A Bewitching Four-Book Boxed Set
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.