This is the most thorough review of the Venta Airwasher you can get. We’ve all seen those reviews that are started like this, “I got it a week ago, and it’s great!’ or ‘I just unboxed it! 5 stars!’ This review is not like that-this is a thorough review because I have had the Venta Airwasher for over a year. Yes, a YEAR. It’s been a busy one, and honestly I’m glad I waited because I can tell you why the Venta Airwasher is so amazing.
Venta sent me the Venta Airwasher to test and review, but all opinions (and clean air) are my own.
In the last year I put it through initial testing, use through a (dusty, dirty) renovation project, it was packed and moved, and used in our new home where the basement once smelled like the worst cat smell imaginable. (I’ll leave it up to your imagination) Now it’s happily chugging away in our family room to help add some moisture to the dry winter air while cleaning away dust and dander.
But let’s backup. What is an Airwasher anyway?
The Venta Airwasher is unlike anything else you’ve likely encountered. It’s not an air purifier, it’s not just a humidifier–instead it literally uses water to wash the air and humidify the air while it simultaneously helps rid the air you breathe of nasty stuff like pet dander, dust, and dirt. It doesn’t heat up like some humidifiers, instead using cool air technology to add moisture to the air and clean it at the same time. It means a safer and quieter operation and in my experience a better end product.
The tl;dr is the Venta Airwasher is part humidifier, part air purifier.
Let’s talk about how we’ve tested the Venta Airwasher.
We received it in the fall last year in our previous home in Pennsylvania. In that home we had a whole house humidifier, but it failed to generate enough moisture in our front room (the furthest from the heater and the driest room in the house). It also happened to be a space I hung out in a LOT, so having the Venta Airwasher in that room made sense. It was essential.
I have dust allergies, so during the winter months I can have pretty bad allergy issues (runny nose, itchy and dry eyes, and the occasional hives). I take great care to keep the house cleaned, but when it’s closed up it’s hard to keep the dust and dirt out of the air. The Venta helped reduce my allergy issues significantly. I had less allergy attacks, less nose bleeds (I get these a TON in the winter), and my skin was less dry.
When we renovated our house in PA it was a MESS. Dust and dirt everywhere and the air often felt full of sawdust, chemicals, and paint odors. Using the Venta in my bedroom helped me sleep better, and reduced the smells and dust in the air-again making it easier to avoid allergy attacks.
Since moving into our new house in Minnesota I have used the Venta in two ways-firstly to get rid of the HORRENDOUS cat odor in the downstairs (where our kids have their bedrooms and hang out space) and currently to help (once again) combat dry winter air.
By adding just a few drops of Venta’s essential oils to the Venta’s water supply I was able to replace GROSS CAT SMELL (in all caps because that’s how it smelled!) to clean and amazing-scented (yes, that’s a thing). Despite cleaning and carpet cleaning that smell was still there so the Venta was useful to help get rid of the pet dander and odor that was lingering.
Note: You can only use Venta’s specially formulated essential oils in your Airwasher or you’ll void the warranty.
What didn’t you like about the Venta? Is it all magic?
The only downside is remembering to check the water supply and clean it regularly. (Yes, I’m lazy.) I quickly learned to make checking the water a part of my daily routine each morning, so I recommend that.
Remembering to clean it is another story, but I solved that by adding it to my calendar so I wouldn’t forget. That way I always remember to clean it thoroughly every other week.
The least magical part is cleaning it. Cleaning it can be a bit tedious (especially when we were in the process of renovating and there was SO MUCH dirt to clean), but it only takes a few minutes. Plus you get to see all the grossness that it pulled out of the air. Knowing we would have been breathing that in otherwise made cleanup worth it.
You can also toss it in the dishwasher (no, really!). It completely comes apart including the motor and the cord is detachable, so washing it about once a month can make deep cleaning it a breeze. Just leave out the detergent as it’s unnecessary. And keep it on low heat-no melting, please.
More details on the Venta:
Now that you know why I find it so helpful and useful let’s talk details.
- The Venta is made in Germany. It’s going to last and last-it’s a quality product!
- It has a 10 year warranty. I’m one year in and have no need for the warranty, but I have read very positive reviews of the company dealing with warranty issues.
- The price varies based on the model you choose, but are expensive. You’re likely to spend about $300 (depending on the size of your space). However, it will last longer than other humidifiers for sure. Venta would also like to sell your their cleaning and additive products-this can add up to about $50/year.
- It’s very quiet. Even on the highest setting it makes little noise.
- It doesn’t heat up, so it’s safe around young kids, pets, and clumsy people like me.
- It’s unobtrusive. It has to sit away from the wall and furniture, but it doesn’t take up a lot of space and just kind of hangs out in its’ spot quietly doing its’ job.
- There is an auto shut off-when it needs water it shuts off automatically.
- It helps reduce pet dander, dust, dust mites, pollen, and other nasty stuff from your air.
- It humidifies the air, but it’s not going to lead to swampy conditions. The Venta Airwasher doesn’t force moisture into the air, the air takes the moisture it needs. Even in the summer months you can use this humidifer because it not only will help clean the air, but it may even help with keeping the proper moisture in the air.
- Yes, you can put it right on your wood floors, carpet, or other flooring. There’s no danger of it getting anything wet (unless you spill water while you’re filling it!)
You can read more or purchase the Venta Airwasher on their website. Have questions? Let me know in the comments.