Robot cleaners may seem like something out of The Jetsons, but are they? While Rosie the robotic maid from the Jetsons may not exist, there are robot cleaners already! iRobot is not only helpful around the house, but can make a great gift this holiday season.
Why a robot cleaner?
When it comes to keeping our house clean it’s almost a full-time job. Even with kids lending a hand, a husband who cooks, and working from home to make keeping up with everyone easier– we still struggle. The struggle is really real.
That’s why I look for any solution that can save me time. We ‘adopted’ our iRobot not long after we got our puppy. It’s a HUGE time saver with a busy family. I can set it up and go about my day and comes back to clean floors. It’s like magic.
It’s especially helpful during the holiday season. That also happens to be the start of the birthdays and anniversary season in our house, and coincides with a busy time for my work. PHEW! So having all the help I can get gives me more time (for family) and more money (working more=more moolah).
The robot has one job-to clean floors, but it can sweep for me or wet mop. Especially important when you have a dog that likes to dig in the mud. In fact, our robot is one of our pup’s favorite “playmates.”
Learn more: How we take care of our dog
Why buy a robot cleaner?
I know what you’re thinking-aren’t they….pricey? Well, yes. But it’s cheaper than hiring someone to clean the house, and the amount of time it saves me means I have more time to tackle Mt. Laundry (no one has reached its’ base in years) or do things that aren’t cleaning.
While our iRobot has yet to do bathrooms it saves me about 20 minutes everyday. Dusting and mopping the floor takes easily that long, and yes it needs it everyday (see puppy + 4 kids).
Learn more: How to get your kids to clean up
Which model did you get?
When I researched options I decided to go with the Braava because it suited our needs to a tee. Additionally, what really made me pull the trigger was a sale price. Yep, I can always be counted on to find a deal before I buy. Right now you can get free shipping, though I’ll keep an eye out for discounts or maybe (dare we hope?) a holiday sale.
How does it hold up?
I use it at least 5 times a week to clean and mop the floors in our living room/office area and dining room. The weekends we usually do a deep clean one day, so I don’t use it that day. Usually there’s a day where I forget to use it, too. I’m nothing if not inconsistently consistent. Additionally, I use it once a week for areas in the rest of our house. It’s held up great despite abuse and use regularly, and we’ve had it for over 18 months now!
Why buy it for the holidays?
While I don’t generally encourage buying cleaning supplies for the holidays–in this case I think it’s a GREAT idea. This could make a great gift for busy families, elderly parents or relatives, families with a new baby (no time to clean!), and so many more people. I know I’d be more excited about getting a new robot for the holidays than I would be a fancy handbag. I mean it’s probably cute, but saving me time is giving me a gift that keeps giving.
Learn more: Holiday Cleaning Tips with Swiffer
- It has two modes. Dry mop mode picks up dirt, dust, and ALL the pet hair. Damp mop mode uses damp cloths to get grime, mud, and dirt off the floor.
- You can use it with disposable or reusable cloths. I use both and they both work equally well.
- The Braava cleans all hard-surface floors including tile, vinyl, hardwood and laminate.
- It tracks where it’s been and where it needs to go with a NorthStar® Navigation System! It’s pretty cool that it knows where to go!
- It’s compact to fit under tables, sofas, etc. to ensure it gets ALL the dirt.
- It also cleans right up to the baseboards, edges of the room, and walls making my cleanup time even less each week.
- The Braava returns to where it started when its’ done cleaning.
- It’s so quiet! Vacuuming and mopping can be noisy and messy, but it’s super quiet and efficient.
- The robot uses a rechargeable battery, so you plug it in when you’re done and it’s ready to go next time you need it.
Learn more: Spring Cleaning With Goodwill
The same technology is used (and improved upon in some cases) with their other models. If you have a bigger budget or you need a robot vacuum look below for more options.
iRobot Roomba 980
Where to buy:
Get FREE shipping on your iRobot and compare models at Roomba.com.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. All opinions are my own.